Michael is a senior and well respected Commercial and Insurance specialist with a particular focus on domestic and international construction and engineering disputes, professional negligence claims and property damage.
A robust advocate and pragmatic advisor, Michael has a busy practice dealing with high-value, technical and complex cases.
Michael is also well placed to advise as to effective and efficient methods of handling e-disclosure and information management. He is the author of the leading textbook on e-disclosure together with Charles Raffin (published by OUP in 2017) and he regularly lectures on the topic.
Michael is Member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, is a TECBAR accredited adjudicator and an ADR Group Accredited Mediator.
Michael has been recommended as a leading construction junior for many years in Chambers UK, Chambers Global and Legal 500. He is also recommended for professional negligence by Legal 500. Recent comments include:
- "In addition to having a fantastic knowledge of the law, his commercial judgement is excellent and he is tactically brilliant." Chambers UK 2018
- "Knowledgeable yet commercial and pragmatic. Quick to respond to queries with sound strategy advice." Chambers UK 2018
- “An excellent advocate, who provides robust and commercially astute advice.” Legal 500 2017
- “First rate” Legal 500 2017
- “Grasps issues quickly and is able to present advice to clients in a very clear, concise way.” Chambers Global 2017
- "A current and rising star" Legal 500 2016
- “Incredibly diligent, hard-working, very good on the law” Chambers UK 2016
- "Technically excellent" Legal 500 2016
- "A bona fide construction specialist" Legal 500 2015
Michael's recent cases
- Kersfield Developments (Bridge Road) Ltd v Bray & Slaughter Ltd  EWHC 15 (TCC)
- Khan v RDK International LLC & Ors  EWHC 3448 (Ch)
- CIP Properties (AIPT) Ltd v Galliford Try Infrastructure Ltd & Ors (No. 3 Amendments)  EWHC 1345 (TCC): 160 Con L.R. 73
- CIP Properties (AIPT) Ltd v Galliford Try Infrastructure Ltd & Ors (Costs Judgment No. 2)  EWHC 481 (TCC); 158 Con LR 229;  BLR 285;  2 Costs LR 363;  CILL 3641
- Rydon Maintenance Ltd v Affinity Sutton Housing Ltd  EWHC 1306 (TCC)
- CIP Properties (AIPT) Ltd v Galliford Try Infrastructure Ltd & Ors  EWHC 3546 (TCC);  1 All ER (Comm) 765; (2014) 156 Con L.R. 202;  6 Costs LR 1026
- R&S Security Services Ltd v Fire Defence Plc  EWHC 4222 (Ch);  BCLC 92;  BLR 500,  B.P.I.R. 1085
- Beck Interiors Ltd v Classic Decorative Finishes Ltd  EWHC 1956 (TCC)
- Beck Interiors Ltd v UK Flooring Contractors Ltd  EWHC 1808 (TCC);  BLR 417;  CILL 3209
In addition to writing for Practical Law, LexisNexis and other publications, Michael is also:
- Co-Author of Electronic Disclosure Law and Practice, Oxford University Press, 2017 (with Charles Raffin).
- Contributor to Paul Reed QC’s Construction All Risks Insurance, Sweet & Maxwell, published in March 2014, second Edtion in 2017.
- Contributor to Paul Reed QC’s Construction Professional Indemnity Insurance, Sweet & Maxwell, first edition to be published early 2018.
- Contributor to Insurance Broking Practice and the Law, edited by CMS Cameron McKenna, Informa, looseleaf.
- “In Defence of Defences”, Adj Soc Newsletter, July 2011
- 2001 LLB
- 2002 LLM (Distinction)
- 2003 Bar Vocational Course
- 2011 Tecbar Adjudicator
- 2011 MSc (Distinction)
- 2011 Worshipful Company of Arbitrators Prize
- 2011 Arbitration Club Philip Ranner Prize
- 2011 MCIArb
- 2015 ADR Group Accredited Civil and Commercial Mediator
- 2015 SCMA Accredited Mediation Advocate
- Society of Construction Law
- Adjudication Society
- Kings College Construction Law Association
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- Standing Conference of Mediation Advocates