Paul is a leading commercial practitioner specialising in construction, professional liability, property damage and insurance. He is regularly instructed in substantial, technical and complex civil, commercial, construction, insurance and professional negligence disputes. As well as being a popular and experienced advocate in court and in arbitration, he is also highly regarded for adjudication and advisory work.
Paul has an extensive domestic and international practice, appearing regularly in the Middle East and the Caribbean as well as other areas. He is known as an approachable and client-focused silk and a team player who gives clear and consistent advice.
He is also an occasional post graduate tutor and lecturer in construction law and arbitration at Kings College and a highly experienced mediator, adjudicator and arbitrator. He has been shortlisted as Construction Silk of the Year in the Legal 500 Awards.
Paul is recommended as a leading silk in Construction, Insurance and Reinsurance by Chambers UK, Chambers Global and Legal 500, in Property Damage and International Arbitration by Chambers UK and Professional Negligence in Legal 500.
”A natural choice for big-ticket, international infrastructure disputes” (Chambers UK)
- Author of Construction All Risks Insurance, published by Sweet & Maxwell.
- The second edition of Construction All Risks Insurance was published in 2017.
- Author of Construction Professional indemnity Insurance due to be published by Sweet & Maxwell in 2017.
- Editorial Board and contributor for Insurance Broking Practice and the Law, edited by CMS Cameron McKenna, INforma looseleaf.
- Contributor to 'Cases that Changed our lives' published by Lexis Nexis.
- Contributor to the Practical Law Construction Blog and Lexology.
Recent Significant Cases
- AH (International contractors) v D (developer) ICC arbitration in Dubai (2015).
- Twintec Ltd v Volkerfitzpatrick Ltd  BLR150.
- National Museums & Galleries on Merseyside v AEW Architects & Designers Ltd & PHL UK Ltd & Galliford Try Construction Ltd  EWHC 2403 (TCC).
- MJ Gleeson Group PLC v AXA Corporate Solutions Assurance SA  Lloyd's Rep IR 677.
- UK Highways A55 Ltd, Carillion Construction Ltd, John Laing Construction Ltd v Hyder Consulting (UK) Ltd  BLR 95.
- Smith & Others v South Eastern Power Networks PLC  EWHC 2541 (TCC).
- Cayman Insurance Company Limited v Lindo and Brown  (2) LILR.
- Chalcraft v Rivercraft Developments LLP v John Tompkins Associates Ltd  EWHC 2079.
- Barrett v Attorney General of the Cayman Islands and Cayman Islands Insurance Association CICA 19 .
- LLB (Hons).
- Accredited Mediator and Adjudicator.
- Technology & Construction Bar Association.
- Society of Construction Lawyers.
- Commercial Bar Association.
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- Insurance Assessor – Centre for Justice.
- Dubai International Financial Court
- London Commercial Law & Commercial Bar Association.
- Professional Negligence Bar Association.
- British Insurance Law Association.
- London Court of International Arbitration