Gordon Exall's practice focuses exclusively on Personal Injury, Clinical Negligence, limitation and civil procedure. He has an enormous depth of knowledge, having written a number of books and lectured frequently in these areas of law.
Areas of expertise
- Liability in personal injury cases, particularly accidents at work.
- Personal injury damages, future losses and loss of earnings. He has written the last three editions of the authoritative text, Munkman on damages for Personal Injury and Death.
- Extensive experience and knowledge in the area of fatal accidents, he is instructed by solicitors throughout the country. Gordon writes the APIL Guide to Fatal Accidents, the third edition of which comes out later this year.
- Civil procedure, sanctions, costs, procedure and limitation. Gordon writes the well received blog Civil Litigation Brief, there are numerous articles and posts on all these matters which reflect his experience and practice.
- Pykett v Clement  EWCA Civ 2925 (issue of liability owed by overtaking driver causing substantial injuries).
- Re M (2011)(Lawtel) £4 million CICA award.
- Re S (2011) (Lawtel) £3.6 million CICA award.
- Motor Insurers Bureau v Shikhell  EWHC 527 (QB)(Successful defence of witness in personal injury case alleged to have been in contempt of court).
- Hodinott v Persimmon Homes  1 WLR 806. (Appropriate procedure for challenging service of the claim form).
- O’Hara v McDougall  All ER D 275 (service on tenant’s address not good service on landlord).
- Smith v Hughes  1 WLR 2441 (appropriate address for service for service of claim form).
- Lunnun v Singh  All ER D 718 (effect on judgment on ability to defend claim for damages).
- Junior Counsel in several cases relating to loss of career chance of professional footballers
- Numerous fatal accident cases representing, widows, widowers and children.
- Advising and representing children and mothers in clinical negligence and cerebral palsy cases
- Representing mentally handicapped claimants on appeals to the CICA, several multi million pound awards
- Cases relating to procedural and limitation issues and problems arising out of the civil procedure rules.
- Munkman on Damages for Personal Injury and Death (11th, 12th and 13th editions)
- Personal Injury Practice Notes (2nd, 3rd and 4th editions)
- The APIL Guide to Fatal Accidents (1st and 2nd editions'; 3rd edition pending)
- Periodical Payments the New Law.
- Gordon was editor of Personal Injury Precedents (Sweet and Maxwell, looseleaf) and is author of the section on limitation for APIL Personal Injury looseleaf. Gordon also wrote the section on Service of the Claim Form and the Early Stages of Litigation in The Law Society's Litigation Handbook (2nd edition).
- Gordon wrote the monthly Civil Litigation Brief for the Solicitors' Journal from 1991 to 2008 and has written for numerous journals on topics relating to personal injury, procedure and damages.
- Gordon also writes his own blogs Civil Litigation Brief, Fatal Accident Law and Accidents at Work after The Enterprise and Regulatory Reform Act 2013.
Gordon has lectured and broadcast widely on the issues of civil procedure and personal injury. Recent webcasts include: “Drafting Witness Statements”; “Myths about limitation for personal injury lawyers. Gordon has lectured on sanctions for the Law Society Civil Litigation Group and the Association of Costs Lawyers annual conference. He has lectured on procedure, limitation, witness statements, fatal accidents and accidents at work for Zenith Chambers.