Mark Engelman has acted in numerous high profile cases including for the estate of Adrian Jacobs against JK Rowling and Bloomsbury Publishing Plc’s for non-textual copyright infringement in the Harry Potter series; against Intel in the ECJ defining the principle of trade mark dilution for Europe and against Nanging Automobile Corporation over the rights to the badge MG on motor cars.
Mark is recommended in the current editions of independent legal directories The Legal 500 and Chambers UK.
Mark is "praised for his client-facing skills and robust advocacy...'he has an encyclopaedic knowledge of the law and is incredibly commercial'...'A very tenacious senior junior'". - Chambers UK 2014
Mark’s experience comes from running businesses, having been the sole in-house counsel to Dunlop Slazenger and Head of IP for The Body Shop International Plc before joining Hardwicke. He is and has been standing counsel for a number of floated multi-national companies and SMEs, including as non-executive director of Alexander McQueen’s haute couture operation as well as Specsavers, Monsoon and Oxford Brookes University to name a few.
Mark was appointed to the Bench of Gray’s Inn in 2009 and is a member of the Bar Council. He is also a mentor for the Department of Law and is an advocacy trainer at Kings College London.
- Winkworth Franchising Limited and M Winkworth Plc v (1) Winkworth Surveyors Limited acting for the well-known estate agent.
- Professor Dov Gabbay v OUP acting for the writer.
Copyright Infringement - Non-texual infringement
- Gertrude Garrow v Evelyn Haldane Wendon & others acting for the writer.
- Lex Records Ltd v (1) Omar Gilyard (2) District 6 Music Publishing Ltd acting for the musician.
Trade Mark Infringement
- The One Group LLC;(1) Daniel Galvin Limited (2) Daniel Galvin Junior Limited v Medichem Limited acting for the well-known retail chain.
- Arcadia v Third Party for Arcadia.
Trade Mark Appeals
- Hyundai Eon v Hyundai Motor Company acting for the electricity company.
- AG v Eon Reality Ltd acting for the electricity company.
- Apple Inc v Wapple.net Ltd Meemi v Wardrobe (Beautiful Clothes) Limited (to the Court of Appeal) acting for the famous computer company.
Trade Mark Office Decisions
- Saul Zaentz Company v Ocean Outdoors Limited – “The Two Towers”
- Re: Saul Zaentz Company v Success Story Management Ltd – “Bilbo Baggins!" acting for JR Tolkien’s Estate.
- A Government against a defence contractor-ICC acting for the Government.
Community Trade Mark Oppositions
- Associated Newspapers Limited v Rabbit, Inc acting against a TV channel.
- The Deep Purple’s Trade Mark acting for the famous group against its ex-musician Roger Blackmore.
Design Right Infringements
- Glazing Vision Ltd v Roof Glaze Ltd
- Glazing Vision Ltd v Natralight Ltd acting for the design right owners of roof lights.
Coats of Arms
- Enfield BC v Mandel acting for the Council.
- Fred Perry(Holdings) Limited v Brands Plaza Trading Limited And Another  EWCA Civ 224.
- Author of "Engelman's Intellectual Property Update" - Bloomsbury Publishing
- BSc (Pharmacology)
- Dip Law
- Intellectual Property Bar Association