A key focus of Andy’s work is commercial landlord and tenant, from the interpretation of break clauses, indemnities and obligations, to lease renewals under the 1954 Act. She has a thorough understanding of both fixtures and terminal dilapidations. She has recently acted on injunctions for Cancer Research, Pizza Hut and TfL involving commercial premises.
She has a particular interest in the Electronic Communications Code and has acted for both landowners and operators in relation to the removal of mobile phone masts and other apparatus from land.
Her recent work on property damage includes claims involving Japanese Knotweed, a sinkhole and flooding caused by surface water. She also has experience of some more specialist areas of property law, for example, mobile homes, canal boats and a nudist colony.
Andy is noted for her excellent forensic analysis skills and incisive witness handling. One expert building surveyor recently compared the experience to being “cross-examined by a smiling Doberman”.
Andy came to the Bar after a successful career in industry, latterly as a company director negotiating international supply chain contracts. She has wide experience of managing both people and expectations. Well-versed in the commercial realities of business, Andy readily understands the client’s objectives and deploys good tactical awareness to help the client realise them.
Outside of work she enjoys skiing, scuba diving and travel (which is lucky as she is married to an airline pilot).
- Spielplatz Ltd v Pearson  EWCA Civ 804 – consideration of annexation of structures following the House of Lords decision in Elitestone v Morris  1 WLR 687
- Thandi v Sands  EWHC 2378 (Ch) – dispute over beneficial interest in portfolio of 16 properties following bankruptcy.
- Swan Housing Association Ltd v Gill  EWHC 3129 (QB)- on the county court’s jurisdiction in cases involving adverse possession in light of the LRA 2002
- Aksu v LB Enfield  EWCA Civ 60 - renewal tenancy opposed on ground (b)
- Murphy v Wyatt  EWCA Civ 408 – whether the Mobile Homes Act 1983 provided security of tenure retrospectively to a tenancy which did not preclude the siting of a caravan on a 1.7 acre site
- Chelsea Building Society v Nash  EWCA Civ 1247 – effect of a lender’s settlement with one debtor on their joint liability
Recent seminars Andy has given include “Fixtures at the End of Term”, “From Floods & Fires to Sinkholes: the Current State of the Law in Property Damage”, “Tactics in Lease Renewals”, “Property Issues in Site Development”, “The Code, the ’54 Act and Reform”, “Restrictive Covenants: Protection or Device?” and “Getting the Most from Your Witnesses”.