A key focus of Andy’s work is commercial landlord and tenant, from the interpretation of break clauses to terminal dilapidations claims. She has a strong practice in lease renewals under the 1954 Act. She has recently acted on injunctions for Stagecoach, Cancer Research and TfL involving commercial premises.
She has a particular interest in the Electronic Communications Code and routinely acts for landowners seeking to remove mobile phone masts and other apparatus from their land. She is currently testing a solution to the “Catch 22” involving the interplay of the Code and a ground (f) opposed lease renewal.
Her recent work on property damage includes the first trial in England & Wales on the liability for property damage from Japanese Knotweed, advising on a sinkhole and for loss sustained as a result of a landslip. She also has experience of some more specialist areas of property law, for example, mobile homes, canal boats and a nudist colony.
Andy is noted for her excellent forensic analysis skills and incisive witness handling. One expert building surveyor compared the experience to being “cross-examined by a smiling Doberman”.
Andy came to the Bar after a successful career in industry, latterly as the director of an international manufacturing company. This experience, allied with her first degree in business and finance, means she provides clients with commercially-focused advice.
Outside of work she enjoys skiing, scuba diving and travel (which is lucky as she is married to an airline pilot).
- Farrar v Leongreen Ltd  EWCA Civ 2211 – on whether a claim for mesne profits and a claim for possession against a trespasser are based on the same cause of action (‘claims in trespass’)
- Spielplatz Ltd v Pearson  EWCA Civ 804 – consideration of annexation of structures following the House of Lords decision in Elitestone v Morris  1 WLR 687
- Thandi v Sands  EWHC 2378 (Ch) – dispute over beneficial interest in portfolio of 16 properties following bankruptcy
- Swan Housing Association Ltd v Gill  EWHC 3129 (QB)- on the county court’s jurisdiction in cases involving adverse possession in light of the Land Registration Act 2002
- Aksu v LB Enfield  EWCA Civ 60 - renewal tenancy opposed on ground (b)
- Murphy v Wyatt  EWCA Civ 408 – whether the Mobile Homes Act 1983 provided security of tenure retrospectively to a tenancy which did not preclude the siting of a caravan on a 1.7 acre site
- Chelsea Building Society v Nash  EWCA Civ 1247 – effect of a lender’s settlement with one debtor on their joint liability
Recent seminars Andy has given include “The Emergence of Proximate Nuisance”, “Liability in Dilapidations”, “Fixtures at the End of Term”, “From Floods & Fires to Sinkholes: the Current State of the Law in Property Damage”, “Tactics in Lease Renewals” and “Property Issues in Site Development”.