Rupert has a successful commercial, costs, chancery and property practice. He
became a tenant in April 2014 and is regularly instructed in FTT Property Chamber, County Court, SCCO and High Court hearings in a variety of matters ranging from mortgage repossessions to Solicitors Act assessments. He also accepts instructions on professional negligence matters in all his practice areas. Rupert is a talented advocate who is equally at home arguing a precise point of statutory construction as he is acting as one of a number of junior counsel in major litigation.
He has a varied client base and prides himself on giving commercially focused
advice backed up by a tenacious manner in court. He is approachable and hard-working.
Rupert is also an ADR Accredited Mediator and a member of a specialist costs mediation panel.
He was appointed Junior Counsel to the Crown (Attorney General’s C Panel) in 2017.
- Khaira v Shergill  EWCA Civ 1687;  5 Costs L.R. 953 – an appeal in the Court of Appeal led by PJ Kirby QC concerning the commencement of detailed assessment proceedings pursuant to CPR Part 47.
- Awuah v Secretary of State for the Home Department  UKFTT 555 (IAC);  4 Costs L.R. 615 – a decision of McCloskey J on the power of tribunals to order wasted costs against representatives other than professional advocates.
- Kitcatt v MMS UK Holdings Ltd  EWHC 786 (Comm) – a further decision concerning statutory interest, costs and payments on account by Males J. Led by Nigel Jones QC.
- Kitcatt v MMS UK Holdings Ltd  EWHC 675 (Comm) – a two week trial in the Commercial Court before Males J concerning the proper interpretation of a Share Purchase Agreement/existence and terms of a collateral contract. Led by Nigel Jones QC.
- Demouilpied v Stockport NHS Foundation Trust  EW Misc B40 (CC) – an appeal before HHJ Smith concerning the application of the post-April 2013 test of proportionality to block-rated ATE insurance premiums.
- Willow Court Management Co v Alexander  UKUT 290 (LC);  L. & T.R. 34 – an appeal on the proper interpretation of Rule 13 of the Tribunal Procedure (First-tier Tribunal) (Property Chamber) Rules 2013 which provides for the recovery of costs in the FTT Property Chamber. Led by Simon Allison.
- Rosenblatt (A Firm) v (1) TAL Limited, (2) Stamps, (3) Frudd  EWHC 242 (QB) – a one day hearing in the QBD concerning indemnity costs on discontinuance.
- Stone Rowe Brewer LLP v Just Costs Ltd  EWCA Civ 1168;  6 Costs L.O. 779 – an appeal in the Court of Appeal led by PJ Kirby QC concerning the proper interpretation/application of ‘special circumstances’ in s.70(10) of the Solicitors Act 1974.
- McDaniel & Co v Clarke  EWHC 3826 (QB);  6 Costs L.R. 96 – an appeal from the SCCO before Hickinbottom J concerning the reasonableness of costs under the Solicitors Act 1974.
Qualifications and Academic Background
- First class degree (Christ Church, Oxford) – 2009
- Distinction (GDL) – 2010
- Very Competent (BPTC) – 2011
- Academic scholar at Christ Church, Oxford
- Hardwicke, Denning and Bowen scholarships from Lincoln’s Inn
- Property Bar Association
- Chancery Bar Association
- ADR Group Accredited Civil & Commercial Mediator
- CADR Mediator